Notice: We're short on a few supplies, please allow for a few extra weeks to process and ship out your spindle kit.
This is a "bundler" product... you must answer the questions on this product page and we'll add the different parts to your shopping cart related to your answers.
Notice: We have TWO spindle kit queue's with different timings...
- Onefinity Elite Buyers: Folks who order a spindle kit to go with their new Onefinity Elite machine... our ask is that you provide your Onefinity Elite order number. We'll coordinate shipping with Onefinity directly so your new spindle kit ships ahead of your machine so you can get started right away.
- Everyone Else: Orders for folks who already have their CNC machine, we are processing this queue faster and your kit will likely ship within 3-5 weeks.
We care about every single order and try our best to have high quality products that are prepared and shipped in a timely manor. Our goal is to have your kit in hand as soon as possible no matter which queue you fall into.
- Multiple motor options available (for woodworking unless otherwise specified):
- 1.5kw 110v 65mm Air- or Water-Cooled
- 1.5kw 110v 80mm Air- or Water-Cooled
- 2.2kw 220v 80mm Air- or Water-Cooled
- There are a few special order motors listed as options. Note that we special order these from our motor manufacturer at the time you place your order. It may take 2-4 weeks for your special-order motors to arrive. This timeframe runs in parallel to any fulfillment timeframes listed above.
- 65mm Motors use ER11 collets while 80mm Motors use ER20 collets
- 1.5kw 110v Motors draw 12A while 2.2kw 220v Motors draw 10A
- Woodworking are 2-pole motors with 8k-24k RPMs
- RPM can be fully controlled by your G-code no matter which machine you own via PWM or Modbus "Automatic Control".
- VFD Enclosure with an EMI filtering AC Power Inlet
- Pre-wired and Pre-programmed VFD with our latest Enclosure design.
- Detachable keypad with dial speedometer (extendable via cat5 cable, not included)
- US Power Cord (either 110v L5-20P or 220v L6-20P)
- includes "Quiet mode" (which means the VFD's fan turns on only when needed)
- PWM and Modbus automatic control capabilities (controlled through g-code programming)
- 20mo manufacturers warranty on VFD
Spindle Motor of your size and cooling choice with 6mo warranty
- 1.5kw w/ER11, 110v, 400Hz, 65mm diameter round body, 0-24000rpms
- 1.5kw w/ER20, 110v , 400Hz, 80mm diameter round body, 0-24000rpms
- 2.2kw w/ER20, 220v , 400Hz, 80mm diameter round body, 0-24000rpms
- special order motors available
- 1.5kw w/ER11, 110v, 400Hz, 65mm diameter round body, 0-24000rpms
- 16' Hand Crafted Plug-n-Play Spindle Power Cable included. If you'd like longer cables, checkout our Spindle Cables by-the-foot.
- (3) Matching Collets to hold the most common bit sizes
- for ER11: 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" (more ER11 Collets here, and here)
- for ER20: 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" (more ER20 Collets here, and here)
- (2) Wrenches (one for shaft, another for collet nut)
- 12' Hand Crafted Plug-n-Play Control Cable sold separately, however it is free with a spindle kit. (free cable not combinable with other discounts)
- Cooling pump available separately with choice of standard or clear flex tubing.
Coolant liquid (either mix of antifreeze/distilled-water or window washer fluid is recommended)
Reservoir bucket which will be filled with coolant and the included pump will be submerged into. (a 4gal bucket is the perfect size.)
Which cooling option should I choose?
The choice between Air- or Water-cooling often depends on your setup preferences. We've ran 3d carves that have lasted many days with both and have found little difference in their performance.
Where's the 2.2kw 110v motor option?
This gets a bit technical so bare with us. In order for a 2.2kw motor to run efficiently at 110v, it requires 20amps of power. In the US we have three 110v circuit options in which the most common and in every home is the 110v at 15amps. In some rare cases folks will have 20amp plugs but a good rule of thumb with electricity is always make sure the circuit is rated for more than the device you're plugging into. Therefore a 2.2kw 110v 20amp motor would require the next step up which is 110v at 30amp.
Our thought here is if you're going to pay an electrician to come out and install a 110v 30amp plug... it is far safer (lower voltage), more common, and even helps resale value of homes if you were to install a 220v 20amp plug instead. (Resale?? It is very common for woodworking that tools come in 220v. So for future owners of your home who want to put a shop where you did, it's more valuable to have a 220v circuit than a 110v 30amp circuit).
Thus we only offer 1.5kw motors max for 110v which only requires 12amps and work perfectly with a dedicated 110v 15amp plug. For our 2.2kw 220v motors they only require 10amps to run efficiently.
Due to all this electrical knowledge... we did identify the most valuable aspect of 2.2kw motors and that's the ER20 collets. So we worked closely with our spindle motor manufacturer to provide a 1.5kw 80mm motor with an ER20 collet to achieve this.
How loud is a spindle compared to trim routers? What about between cooling options?
The vast majority of noise you'll experience from spindle motors is when the bit is carving deep into your stock. Compared to a palm router, spindles are virtually quiet. A low hum for the most part. Comparing Air- vs Water-cooled is another ;question. Both are extremely quiet but Water-cooled does have the advantage. Ex: 3d carving with a tapered ball-nose bit... you can turn off your extractor as very little chips are being produced. Water-cooled motors will be virtually quiet. The most noise you'll hear would be from the coolant pump.
I have a Shapeoko with a BitRunner, can I continue to use it?
Short answer is no... but that doesn't matter with our spindle kits. Our VFD Enclosures have a very simple plug for use with an IoT power strip that provides the exact same functionality the BitRunner offers. You can plug your dust extraction right into the IoT power strip, the strip into our VFD and when RPM's go over 5500... your extractor will turn on.
Why does it cost so much?
PwnCNC is a small company bringing innovative and unique products to the market. We don't have millions or even tens of thousands to order pallet loads of supplies at once. We've also poured our knowledge into the spindle kit with features not found anywhere else. The testing, integration and wiring work takes time. In addition, our VFD includes a 20-month warranty while our spindle motor includes a 6-month warranty.
Compared to purchasing parts off large online retailers, our spindle kits adds:
- The most advanced VFD Enclosure on the market
- EMI Filtering AC inlet
- Simple IoT output port (replaces BitRunner)
- All wiring shielded from interferance
- Warranty and support
- Testing and shipped to order
Should I choose ER11 or ER20... what's the difference?
ER20 collets support up to 1/2" shank bits, but this feature comes at a cost. Only 80mm spindles can support such a large collet. Typically this will require you to purchase an 80mm spindle mount from your CNC manufacturer.
What is the runout of our motors?
According to our motor manufacturer, runout of our spindles is 0.01mm (High accuracy).
Can I carve mild-steel?
By default we sell motors for wood-working purposes. These are typically 2-pole 400Hz motors that have a usable range between 8000-24000 RPMs. However we do offer other motors upon request. Purchased less frequently but still available are our 4-pole 800Hz motors that provide the higher torque at lower RPMs which is required for Metal-working. Learn about one customers experience here.
- Onefinity Black-Box controllers should be upgraded to firmware 1.3 or greater to receive the best experience. It is possible to use our kit in automatic mode with firmware versions before 1.3 if you follow our Temporary Addendum.
- Shapeoko 5 Pro's Warthog controller has an extremely poor quality PWM signal. Plugging into their spindle port will result in incorrect RPM commands coming from the controller. An ICSP header is available within the controller that provides a cleaner PWM signal. We have designed a pigtail that is working great in our testing. Reach out to us via email@example.com to learn more.
Received and unboxed. very impressed in the care taken to ship these unit/s. I have installed and powered up Controller, and tested the Spindle. I am currently waiting on the 80mm Z-20 Heavy Duty Z Slider and X-50 Stiffy I ordered from Onefinity before Install the remainder of the PWNCNC system. All should be here next week. I am not new to the spindle use on the Onefinity but the previous unit I purchased ran for about 3 months and is now in the landfill. Had too much to do so I am back to using the Makita Router. Hoping to complete the install over the coming Holiday weekend. I will provide a full review when up and running, Good Luck with the new location. More to follow.
Totally impressed with the thoroughness of the instructions and the ease of installation process. Everything was well thought out and worth the investment. Great product well worth the price! It was also very easy to maneuver through the selections at their web site!
So far so good.
Very impressed with build quality and ease of set up.
Did have to update firmware on OneFinity Buildbotics controller but that was very easy. Looking forward to a lot of hours with this spindle.
I have been really happy since I upgraded from a router to the spindle, so much quieter. Customer service has been great when I have needed to ask a question, they are right there to pass on any information that I needed.
Bought the elite and figured it was a good time to go ahead and get a spindle as well. Couldn’t be more pleased with it. Literally plug and play with a 1 min programming part on masso. Went with air cooled 2.2kw and it’s unbelievably quiet and smooth as glass. If you’re on the fence about a spindle choose PWN and you will not be disappointed.